Regeneration (or being born again)
"Most assuredly...one is born of water and the Spirit" John 3 5
Water (and blood) at the cross
Has nothing to do with baptism, in that baptism does not save
Has nothing to do with the bread or wine, in that water in not involved
Jesus shed blood and water at His crucifixion (John 19 34) which is:
- A symbolic fulfilment of Zachariah 13 1.
- Blood gives justification, water gives sanctification.
- Blood is needed for remission (Heb 9 22), water for regeneration (John 19 34).
- Blood is for atonement (Rom 5 1-11), water for purification.
What is the water?
New life is communicated by the voice if Christ – which is the Word of God ( see also James 1 18 )
It is simply the Word of God.
- Water purifies (See also Num 8 6, Num 19 9)
- Whoever …… does not purify himself, defiles the tabernacle of the Lord. ……. He shall be unclean, because the water of purification was not sprinkled on him (Num 19 13).
Water is a "type". It is not physical water (See also 2 Chron 30 19).
- Washing of water by the word (Eph 5 26)
- See also 1 John 5 6
- See 1 Peter 1 23 "born again ….through the word of God"
How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the gospel of peace, Who bring glad tidings of good things! (Rom 10 15)
[Holy] Spirit (More can be found in John 14 etc)
- The Holy Spirit is what causes the new birth.
- It gives a "new" spirit – Ezek 11 19
- Your body becomes the temple of the Holy Spirit (1 Cor 3 16)
- It is a seal (like a bank seal), as a guarantee (Eph 1 13-14)
The Regenerated Person (see also especially John 14)
- Has crucified the flesh (old man) (Gal 5 24)
- Been made acceptable, has been set aside (sanctified) (Rom 15 16)
- Has life (John 3)
- Has the Gospel (1 Thes 1 5)
- Has had the love of God poured into his heart (Rom 5 5)
- Has a guaranteed hope of eternal life (Eph 1 13-14, Rom 15 13)
- Has peace with God (Col 3 15- this is a command)
- Is well taught (John 14 26, 1 Cor 2 13)
- Able to withstand "in tribulations, in needs, in distresses, in stripes, in imprisonments, in tumults, in labors, in sleeplessness, in fastings" 2 Cor 6 2
- Is Holy (Heb 12 9-10)
- Able to discern right from wrong, able to discern spiritual things (1 Cor 2 14, Heb 4 12)
- Has the fruits of the Spirit evident (Gal 5 22, Eph 5 9)
- Is a citizen of Heaven (Eph 2 19)
How? – What must I do to be saved? (Acts 16 30-31, John 5)
- If one believes on the Lord Jesus Christ, one is born again.
- "He that hears My word, and believes in Him" John 5 24, John 6 47, John 20 31.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, 9not of works, lest anyone should boast. 10For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them. (Eph 2 8-10)
 These are outline notes for a sermon
 I mention this, because in some sects water is mixed with the wine.
 Note NIV, NKJV uses reconciliation rather than atonement
 These are only examples of verses